Friday, May 3, 2013

More On That Oyster Cult

It's not that I go around thinking about Blue Oyster Cult every day, it's that something happens to remind me of them. This time I blame it on the new movie from Tom Cruise, Oblivion. There is a scene where the name pops up and then then I'm stuck with the mind worm. Oh, alright, I won't do a spoiler. I'll be more specific with a short sentence at the end of this missive and if you don't mind spoilers, that is where you can find exactly what I'm talking about in terms of what reminded me of them in the movie.

But when I mentioned this to a friend, this is what she wrote to me.

"Here is my BOC story. Somewhere in 1972 my friends and I went to the Pocono Fest. You know a big hippie festival. I do believe we all ate some acid and after it came on my G/F and I were separated from our group of friends. We walked for something that seemed like decades and found ourselves in a big wide open field. It was early evening and a rain storm was coming. As it began to sprinkle we saw a big tent. These guys were waving to us motioning to come in the tent and get out of the rain which we did. They were very nice fed us and let us spend the night in their tent. The were all gentle men just in case you though differently. We had the usual hippie fun, they took out their guitars and played music and we all sang James Taylor song. Thorugh the course of the night the boys told us they were in a band and invited us to come see their show in NYC. We asked what the bands name was and they said. We call our band Blue Oyster Cult.

In the morning we all headed down to the stage area. A year or two later they were on the radio.

This is a true hippie story."

I don't know about you, but these chance encounters always strike my imagination, how they always leave a small imprint on people and make for great stories. I suppose this is why I decided to start this blog. People just tell me so much good stuff that needs to be told."

And as for what happened in Oblivion. It's where Jack goes to this idyllic retreat and rifles thru his album collection. One of the albums is...ta dada dah! A BOC album, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment